vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


03 July 2016

Sunday Stamps II - 81

1961,  France  "14 Juillet" R de la Fresnaye

14 July, the French National Day, is commonly called Bastille Day in English. This painting by cubist artist Roger de la Fresnaye (1885-1925) was done in 1914. The de la Fresnayes were an aristocratic family and Roger studied at several art academies including the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris. He contracted tuberculosis in WWI and his health rapidly declined afterwards. He painted infrequently from 1918 until his death in 1925.

for art on stamps

6 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

I didn't expect to see a cubist painting. Another painter to add to my list.

Joy said...

I like his use of colour.

FinnBadger said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful stamp. I had never heard of this artist before.

Heleen said...

Nor did I, and also I love this stamp.

Heleen said...

Nor did I, and also I love this stamp.

Mail Adventures said...

Nice!